Shelby Hays Biography
Shelby Hays is an American weekday morning meteorologist for KOCO 5 News with co-anchors Markie Martin and Maggie Carlo. Hays directs storm chase crews and Sky 5 during severe weather coverage from the First Alert Weather Center. Hays is a sixth-generation Oklahoman who grew up wanting nothing more than to be a meteorologist.
Shelby Hays Age
Her birth date and place are still under review.
Shelby Hays Husband
She is married to Matt Hays.
Shelby Hays Koco
From a very young age, she was fascinated by storms. It began with fear but grew into a passion for learning about the weather. After graduating from Velma-Alma High School, in Velma, OK, she pursued her dreams of being a meteorologist at one of the finest meteorology schools in the world, the University of Oklahoma.
During college, she studied both weather and broadcasting and completed internships with television stations in both Oklahoma City and Nashville, Tennessee. She also spent time in New York City at ABC’s Good Morning America, learning from ABC Meteorologist Ginger Zee.
She graduated from OU with a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology. The opportunity to keep an eye on Oklahoma’s weather is a dream come true for Hays. Shelby is recently married to her high school sweetheart, Chance.
Shelby Hays Born to Dream
I’m Shelby Hays and I grew up in the small town of Velma, Oklahoma wanting nothing more than to become a meteorologist one day.
From a very young age, I was quite frightened by storms. I would have a bag packed and my tennis shoes by the bed if there were any chance of overnight storms. As I grew older I wanted to know more and more about storms so I could stay away from them and help everyone else stay away as well. What began with fear watching Gary for warnings, transitioned into me wanting to grow up and not just become a meteorologist, but be the next Gary England and help keep fellow Oklahomans out of Mother Nature’s way.
People would laugh and think it was “cute” when I told them I had it all planned out, but not everyone believed I was serious about this big plan. However, in high school, I had a science teacher who understood how serious I was about this adventure and reached out to help. Mrs. Johnston arranged a day for me to go to News 9 and shadow the weather department. That day solidified everything I had dreamed of, it was no longer just a dream to become a meteorologist it was a need and nothing was going to stop me. Gary gave me many tips that day about what to do when I got to OU and when I could apply for an internship.
I am now a student at The University of Oklahoma majoring in Meteorology with a minor in Nonprofit Organizational Studies. I intern at News 9 in the Meteorology department and I’m very active in OU Nightly which gives me on-air experience as a meteorologist.
Outside of school and the weather I enjoy spending time with my family. We spend a lot of time fishing, going to the lake, and just enjoying the great outdoors. I’m an animal lover, and may sometimes treat my dog, Mr. Speckles, like my child.
I’m very blessed to have been given the opportunity to be an intern and would love to answer any questions you have for me or to just chat about the weather, animals, or how great it is to be an Oklahoman.
Shelby Hays Weather
Hays directs storm chase crews and Sky 5 during severe weather coverage from the First Alert Weather Center. Hays is a sixth-generation Oklahoman who grew up wanting nothing more than to be a meteorologist. From a very young age, she was fascinated by storms. It began with fear but grew into a passion for learning about the weather. During college, she studied both weather and broadcasting and completed internships with television stations in both Oklahoma City and Nashville, Tennessee.
Shelby Hays Facts
1. Shelby grew up in Velma, Okla.
2. She went to High School at Velma-Alma, where she graduated as Valedictorian
3. Shelby was crowned Miss Velma-Alma 2007
4. Cooking is not her expertise
5. She loved to play basketball. She began playing in 1st grade.
6. Shelby’s first softball game didn’t go very well — she ran off the field crying.
7. She went on to All-State in softball in high school
8. You’ll probably never catch her listening to anything other than country music
9. She has a lot of cowboy boots … 7 pairs and counting
10. She has always had a K-9 best friend
11. Sports caused Shelby to have ACL surgery on both of her knees
12. Shelby has always driven a red car, “Boomer Sooner”
13. She earned her meteorology degree at the University of Oklahoma
14. At OU Shelby was chosen by President Boren for President’s Leadership Class, the top 100 incoming Oklahoma freshmen
15. Shelby loves to fish
16. She grew up going to Lake Texoma every summer
17. She cannot go to Norman without getting a Spittle
18. Shelby has to have everything clean and organized
19. Her first TV job was in Fort Smith, Arkansas
20. She doesn’t like scary movies
21. Shelby wanted to be able to give back in the future so her minor is in Nonprofits
22. During college, Shelby got to do the forecast on the jumbotron at OU before the game
23. She loves to travel, some of her favorite places to go are Nashville and keeping in Colorado
24. Dessert is her favorite meal
25. She loves waking up early
Shelby Hays Youtube
You can view her from youtube through the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/shelbyrhays
Shelby Hays an
To interact with her website click site click here
Shelby Hays Facebook
Shelby Hays Twitter
Shelby Hays Instagram